Statement from Tourism Authority of Thailand regarding Bangkok hotel fire at Grand Park Avenue Bangkok
Hotel guests were immediately moved to the safety of nearby hotels by the Thai Hotel Association (THA). Around 25 guests were transferred to local hospitals for treatment, mostly related to smoke inhalation.
The police suspect that the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit. They believe this is an isolated incident and has no relation to the recent terrorism threats in the city.
Fires in tourist accommodation in Thailand are very rare. All tourist accommodation is covered by fire and safety regulations, and they undergo regular inspections to ensure they provide the safest possible facilities for visitors to Thailand.
Travelers with a reservation at the Grand Park Avenue should contact their travel agent or tour operator to make alternative arrangements until further notice.
Although the structure of the hotel was not significantly damaged, the hotel remains closed for investigation by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Public Works Department. The hotel has not yet announced when it plans to reopen.
MEDIA CONTACT: Joanna Cooke, Consumer Marketing & PR Manager, Leisure UK & Ireland, Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), 1st Floor, 17 - 19 Cockspur Street, London, SW1Y 5BL, T: 0207 925 7823, F: 0207 925 2512