Reed Travel Exhibitions again set to capitalise on the short break market
The three-day event, 11th–13th June 2007, attracted leading buyers from around the world who are helping to shape the future of the city break holiday market. During the show, held at the Faliro Pavilion, over 3000 appointments were held between buyers and specialist suppliers who ranged from city tourism offices, airlines, city hotels and destination management companies.
As the city break holiday gathers pace, aided by the low cost airlines increasing their routes, Reed Travel Exhibitions are reflecting the changes in our travel patterns and committing their support to Belgrade for 2008’s City Break exhibition. The city of Belgrade will welcome some of the key purchasers and influencers of the short break holiday from the 9th – 11th June 2008.
The show in Athens saw an increase of 7% of floor space occupied and a record attendance of 221 exhibitors all looking to capitalise on the profitable short break market. Buyers from across the world were drawn to the show including delegates from Singapore, China and the United Arab Emirates.
New exhibitors represented at this niche exhibition included: 13 official city tourist offices including Nantes, Reims and Toulouse plus Berlin and Stuttgart. Other new cities included Thessaloniki, Salzburg, Ghent, Pardubice, Gibraltar, San Sebastian, Zaragoza and Bern.
Exhibitor, Dubravaka Micic from the Zagreb Tourist Board said: “We have been surrounded by fantastic opportunities thanks to City Break 2007. We have met some excellent buyers, all of whom were not fully aware of our destination and its possibilities as a short break destination. We have also made some excellent synergies with ancillary suppliers who will be able to help promote Zagreb”.
James Wood, Campaign Manager for the Mersey Partnership who were promoting Liverpool’s status as the European Capital of Culture in 2008 said; “The show has been integral to us in promoting Liverpool as The European Capital of Culture in 2008. The in-bound short break market is key. Hence, meeting buyers from across the globe has been a platform to ensuring our success. The show has been a great springboard that will inevitably help Liverpool and the surrounding areas both financially and in terms of European recognition”.
City Break 2007 was organised in association with the City of Athens and the Athens Tourism and Economic Development Agency, in co-operation with the Ministry of Tourism and the Greek National Tourism Organisation. Mark Walsh, Group Exhibitor Director, said: “Judging by the positive response already received on City Break 2007 from both buyers and suppliers, Athens, as Host City, proved to be wise choice. Our Hosts provided a memorable, imaginative and well organised experience for all. We would be delighted to work with Athens again in the future"
Concluding on the feedback from the exhibition, Panagiotis Arkoumaneas, managing director of Athens Tourism and Economic Development Agency said: “The success of City Break Expo 2007 in Athens is testament to Athens' ever-increasing standing among Europe's leading tourist and business travel destinations. We are pleased that Reed Travel Exhibitions chose Athens to host this new expo dedicated to city tourism. There is no doubt that Athens' Post-Olympic reinvention has brought the city and its tourism product to new heights. We welcome the increased visitors travelling to our historic city and subsequent awareness of Athens as one of Europe's leading destinations. The success of City Break 2007 is certainly a contributing factor
Source: *ECT REPORT 2000-2005
For further information about City Break 2007 please contact Paola Cubillos at Triggerfish Communications on ++ 44 207 403 8894 or e-mail href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
• Buyers and media can register online at: www.citybreakexpo.com
• Reed Exhibitions is the world’s leading events organiser. In 2006 Reed brought together over six million industry professions from around the world generating billions of dollars in business. Today Reed events are held in 34 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia Pacific, and organised by 37 fully staffed offices.
• Reed organises a wide range of events, including exhibitions, conferences, congresses and meetings. It’s portfolio of over 460 events serves 52 industry sectors, including: Aerospace, building and construction, design, electronics, energy, oil and gas, entertainment, food and hospitality, gifts, healthcare, IT/telecoms, jewellery, manufacturing, marketing and business services, pharmaceuticals, property, publishing, security, sport and recreation, transport and logistics, travel.
• Working closely with professional bodies, trade associations and government departments Reed ensures that each and every event is targeted and relevant to industry needs. As a result, many Reed events are market leaders in their field.
• Reed Exhibitions is part of Reed Elsevier Group plc, a FTSE-100 company and world-leading publisher and information provider. In 2005, Reed Elsevier made adjusted profit before taxation of £1,002 million on turnover of £5,166 million.
• Reed Travel Exhibitions organise 15 events worldwide: World Travel Market, Arabian Travel Market, C.I.S. Travel Market, EIBTM, British Travel Trade Fair, Asia Pacific Incentives&Meetings Expo (AIME), International Golf Travel Market, Top Resa, ICCA Exhibition, in association with the ICCA Congress, International Luxury Travel Market (ILTM), La Cumbre, City Break, China Incentive, Business Travel&Meetings Exhibition (CIBTM), Gulf Incentive Business Travel&Meetings (GIBTM) and Asia Luxury Travel Market (ALTM).
• For further press information, please visit the Reed Travel Exhibitions’ website at www.reedtravelexhibitions.com
Triggerfish Communications Ltd The Rankin Building 139-143 Bermondsey Street London SE1 3UW Tel +44(0) 207 403 8894 Mob 07929887172 www.triggerfish.co.uk